Saturday, April 25, 2015

Taking a Chance

Everyone has a bad habit and today I've realized that I have a new bad habit. For months I've been looking for ideas and instructions online of how to do paper crafts. I've googled, I've browsed Pinterest, I've watched Youtube videos and I have made some products. Today my mom pointed out something to me that I hadn't noticed about my Genius Hour process this year. 

This year I put myself in a box. I put all of my creativity in a small cramped box. I've followed instructions on how to build objects and I've enjoyed it, but it doesn't give me the spark of happiness that it usually does. I've made different things out of paper before, but Genius Hour is about new learning. After learning about 3D origami I was ready to try making something. I've made a 3D origami panda and I'm happy with it, but I'm not satisfied. 

I want to make something exciting and big. There's nothing wrong with instructions, but my new goal is to make something that I've created without directions. I'll use references to photographs, most likely. I'm not sure what I want to make next, but I'm not going to restrict myself. For the past few weeks I've looked at different pictures of paper craft projects. If a project looked like I wouldn't have time to make it I just ignored it.

I'm going to take a chance and not worry about the length of time my next project will take. I'm excited and I feel that spark in my heart to make something new again. To anyone who is participating in a project or in Genius Hour : Don't be afraid to take a chance. 




8 comments:

  1. You are truly capturing the spirit of Genius Hour! I hope everyone reads this entry. It's not about a perfect product, it's about the process and the learning. Good for you for realizing that and then really letting go of your preconceived notions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just between Saturday, when I posted this, and today I have a plethora of new ideas that I hope will take shape during this week. Thank you for the kind words and the support!

      Delete
  2. I'm really excited to see what you come up with.! I know its going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thank you! I'm also excited to see how your presentation on dog training goes.

      Delete
  3. Some really cool paper artist are Jen Stark, Gjertrud Hals, Lim Siang Ching, and my favorite is Elod Beregszaszi, you should check them out, they're all soooo awesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Looking at other artist's work is always inspiring. If and when I find out some cool information I'll make another post about what I find out.

      Delete
  4. DeLondra, that "spark in your heart" will get you far in life. Have you seen Kid President's Pep Talk? I just read his book, and if you follow your heart, stick with something you love, and don't give up if you know it's important, you will go far. I'm not very artistic, but I just created a new crayon art piece on a small canvas. I loved it so much, I made a second one for someone I love. It's not going to change the world, but it will change two people's hearts, and I'm good with that. Let that spark of yours turn into a roaring fire - no matter how long your next project takes! Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your supportive words. Kid President is awesome :) and I'll have to start listening to his pep talks more often. I was not aware of his new book, so I'm super excited to look for his book next time I go on the hunt for more books.

    I have to confess that I love your attitude towards people. The act of touching someone's heart - through a piece of art for example - is what life is all about. I'm happy that I am slowing finding out what makes my heart happy and I can't wait to see where this journey takes me.

    ReplyDelete