Saturday, April 11, 2015

The 3D Origami Panda

I found the picture above while I was searching through pictures on Pinterest. This picture had the most in depth instructions I could find, so I thought it was a good idea for this to be my first 3D origami piece. I thought the panda was super cute. It wouldn't be until much later that I figured out I needed more than 400 modules to complete this piece. Considering I folded construction paper into 16 sections per sheet of paper it took a lot of paper to build this.


The image above are the modules that I counted out to complete the base of the panda. I also made the decision to put glue on each module before putting it together with another module. Although, this was my first time make anything with 3D origami pieces after reading a post on Pinterest about someone accidentally destroying their 3D origami swan while they were moving as a result of not gluing the modules together I decided it might be a good idea to glue the modules together.


The picture to the left is a picture of my upside down base and the beginning of the panda's body. The picture to the right is only two rows away from being the panda's entire body. Fortunately, I didn't have any mistakes that ruined the panda's body. If I glued one module in the wrong pace it would've thrown the entire row off and possibly the row below it.


The picture above is my panda! I worked on the panda five separate days since it takes five hours to complete. The glue combined with how close the modules get to each other has made this panda very sturdy. It is about seven inches tall and I am very proud of how it turned out.


7 comments:

  1. WHOA! You did it! It looks adorable! Congratulations. You must have tons of patience to keep at it like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It took a lot of time but it was so much fun being able to make something like this. The feeling of just starting a project, failure or not, is like a breath of fresh air.

      Delete
  2. I am a huge fan of both pandas and origami creations and I have to say, this is the most amazing (and cutest) origami piece I've ever seen! I can tell this took a lot of time and effort to create and I believe that's dedication right there! Hope to see more in the future posts, they're amazing!!! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope I'll have time to make more stuff and make post about what happens during the process. The school fire wall kind of gets in the way when I have pictures of my projects on my email, which I do not have acess to. I hope to do more post soon.

      Delete
  3. This is sooooo Coolllll! I'm so excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is sooooo Coolllll! I'm so excited to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete